ePOWER 12V 40A Battery Charger
- Multistage Charging: Fully automatic multistage battery charger with the ability to charge 3 separate battery banks.
- Separate Battery Banks: Isolated charging design where battery bank one is separate from battery bank two and three.
- Programmable: Battery bank 1 can be programmed with a different charge algorithm over banks 2 and 3.
- Current Control: User adjustable current output (e.g. Dial the 60amp unit back to run off a 1kVA generator).
- Smart Charging: The ePOWER 40A battery charger will regulate its output based on the loads connected to your battery banks.
- Wide AC Input Range: Operates on both 110V / 60Hz and 240V / 50Hz.
- LED Display: Easy to use “set and select” menu along with scrolling charger status.
- Silent Mode: Disables the cooling fan for total silent operation at night or whenever required. Activation reduces charge output by half and locks out fan for 12 hours.
- Temperature Sensor: Battery temperature sensor included with 3 meter cable.
Multistage Charging Process
The Enerdrive ePOWER 40A Battery Charger is a fully automatic, “set and forget” charger. It is designed to quickly and accurately recharge your batteries using algorithms that help maximise service life. Multistage smart charging technology enables the charger to be connected to your battery banks permanently.
As dictated by battery manufacturer’s recommendations, batteries require a multistage charge sequence for perfect, fast and accurate charging. Our ePOWER multistage smart 40A battery charger delivers four primary charge stages:-
- Stage 1 – Bulk or Boost Charge; The battery is charged at full rated output current of the charger until the battery reaches its final charging voltage, known as its absorption voltage. In this step, around 80% of the battery capacity is recovered as fast as possible.
- Stage 2 – Absorption Charge; With the charger voltage held steady the remaining 20% is replaced allowing the current to drop as the battery approaches its full charge.
- Stage 3 – Float; Finally, in the float stage the charger voltage is lowered and held at a constant and safe predetermined level. This prevents the battery from being overcharged while supporting any additional loads connected to the battery, such as DC lighting and refrigerators. This stage allows for the charger to be used as a DC power supply.
- Stage 4 – Maintenance; This stage is a regular timed “return to bulk” stage. After 7 days of constant operation in “float” the Enerdrive ePOWER Battery Charger will switch the charger from float to bulk to agitate the batteries electrolyte helping to provide an extended service life.
1 PRIORITY – Charge Where You Need it Most
The ePOWER 40A Battery Charger delivers a priority charge to Bank 1, or your main house battery bank which allows the charger to get this bank recharged the quickest, then transition the cycle to the lesser bank 2 & 3 batteries.
The priority function also allows you to have a battery chemistry different to the other two, such as an AGM battery for house and lead calcium for your start banks.
In the event that all 3 banks are in need of a charge, an over-ride function helps recover all 3 banks quickly and evenly before switching back to prioritise on Bank 1.
All About Lithium
The recent advances in high capacity Lithium battery technology have seen the need to develop a battery charger suited to their needs. With most traditional ‘smart’ chargers their suitability to Lithium batteries is limited. Lithium batteries require a constant current / constant voltage charge algorithm and are unique in that almost every amp-hour of charge delivered by the charger is accepted as one amp hour into the battery, hence the need to deliver a constant current as long as possible.
The Enerdrive ePOWER charger can be programmed for Lithium batteries. This setting delivers the full rated output of the charger constantly with the charger switching to power supply mode once the voltage peak is met (indicating a full battery bank). The graph shows the ePOWER charger algorithm perfectly supporting Lithium battery requirements.
The Display Panel
The ePOWER 40A Battery Charger display gives you all the information you need for the operation of your charger. At a glance, key information such as charger amps, battery voltage and charge state continually alternate on the screen.When in float / power supply mode, the load amps are displayed so you can see exactly what the charger is doing. The display also allows you to program all settings of the charger, as well as activate the silent mode.
Silence when you need it – By pressing the “SEL” button for 5 seconds, the ePOWER Charger enters the ‘Silent’ mode that prohibits the fan from working. This ensures totally silent and safe operation at night.